.

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." - John Adams

Friday, May 14, 2010

A fond farewell to my Uncle Bill

"All is well and right with the world, as far as the funeral goes anyway. My uncle Bill Johnson had dementia and was a real hand full for my aunt the last couple of years. He was a great guy, loved to fish, was a WWII Navy Fighter pilot and flew many missions in the South Pacific during the war. He was a member of Ancient Landmark Lodge 231 in Savannah, GA. He and my dad were best friends for many years and went through the Lodge officer's line together, my dad was Master in 1963.
He's gone on to a much better existance, since I can't imagine the one he was living was much like having a life. He had a living will and DNR orders standing, so after the Massive stroke last Friday, it was really just a matter of time. His widow seems to have an overwhelming sense of relief.
I'll miss him. He taught me how to weave cast nets when I was a kid, took me flying in a 1947 Taylorcraft airplane, that I believe is still in his garage. It ran on regular gas. He even landed on a rural highway on his way to Oshkosh to put gas in it. We used to fish together a lot when I was a kid. He enjoyed nothing more than being out on the river. He's buried in Bonaventure Cemetary in Savannah, 200 feet from the bluff, overlooking that river he loved so much.
God rest his soul."

No comments:

Post a Comment